Religious beliefs about the “geography” of the afterlife – and the roadmap we must follow to get there – have varied widely throughout history. But few cultures have doubted there is such a place or that human consciousness survives to see it. Funerals have always been rites of passage from this life to the next, ranging in form from simple burial or cremation to immensely complex procedures lasting days or weeks. Ancient Egyptians, for instance, took more than forty days to mummify their dead, carefully keeping the body and all its organs intact so the soul would have a place to live in the next life.
Preoccupied with the Afterlife
For all our skeptical denial in modern times, we are no less preoccupied with the afterlife than our ancestors were:
- A 2005 Harris poll revealed that 82 percent of Americans believe in God, 70 percent in life after death, and six out of ten believe in the existence of heaven and hell.
- Medical studies have found that 11 to 30 percent of all people who survive a cardiac arrest report some kind of near-death experience (NDE) in which their conscious minds appeared to be independent of their physical bodies.
- One out of three respondents to a 2007 Associated Press and Ipsos poll said they believed in ghosts. Nearly one in four – 23% claimed to have had a personal encounter with one.
What really happens when we die? The answer lies in a clear understanding of what God’s Word has to say about the world that awaits us on the “other side”-and about the experience of getting there.
A Christian View of the Afterlife
- An exploration of heaven, hell, and things encountered “on the other side”
- Answers everyone’s questions about what happens the moment people die
- From the bestselling author of Cracking DaVinci’s Code
- Straightforward answers on sometimes confusing and troubling topics
This book taps into popular culture’s insatiable appetite for the supernatural. Written in a popular style, Heaven and the Afterlife touches on many topics related to life after death, including amazing near-death experiences, accounts from the Bible, testimonies, theories, and what some of the world’s religions believe. It will demystify the afterlife with information about heaven, hell, ghosts, angels, near-death experiences, and much more, helping readers gain a solid understanding of the often-confusing subject of life after death. The book culminates by presenting Jesus as the answer to eternal peace and how readers can spend eternity with Him. Garlow and Wall write not only for believers but also for seekers or anyone looking for straight, simple answers to the fascinating subject of the world beyond this life.